DEPAUL UNIVERSITY LIBRARY TUTORIALS
Using CQ Researcher
After completing this tutorial, you will be able to:
1. Define what CQ Researcher is
2. Explain what topics CQ Researcher covers
3. Conduct a basic search in CQ Researcher
1. Use the right arrow at the top of this window to navigate to the next page.
2. This tutorial has two frames. Use this frame (the frame that this text is typed in) to read the tutorial content and view the tasks you are expected to perform.
3. Use the frame to the right (which currently displays the library home page) to complete the tasks. Note that the frame on the right is a live browser session that you control.
4. Before clicking on the arrow to move forward, complete the task using the frame on the right to navigate through the library website and CQ Researcher as directed in in the YOUR TASK section.
5. At the end of the tutorial, you will complete a quiz to reinforce the main concepts presented in this tutorial. The results will be emailed to you.
Please proceed to the next page.
This tutorial will show you how to access and search CQ Researcher, a great database to use when researching hot topics and controversial issues.
It is also useful to explore if you are looking for paper topics.
You should now be on the home page of CQ Researcher. Before we start searching, let's talk a little bit about exactly what CQ Researcher is.
CQ Researcher provides access to single-themed reports. 44 reports are issued each year.
DePaul University Library subscribes to and pays for access to CQ Researcher. You should always access CQ Researcher through the library website.
CQ Researcher was founded in 1923 and is noted for its in-depth, unbiased coverage of health, social trends, criminal justice, international affairs, education, the environment, technology and the economy.
Notice a variety of options for finding reports:
Each 12,000-word report is researched and written by a journalist.
CQ Researcher is not considered a "scholarly" source since it is not reporting on original research and is not written by experts in the field. However, it is a credible and authoritative source. Most professors will allow you to cite it, but always check with your professor first.
At the top of any CQ Researcher pages, you'll notice search options. Notice a variety of options for finding reports:
What are keywords?
What is revelance?
Each full report is divided into sections which are linked in the left hand column on the page. Most reports include these sections:
Please proceed to the next page.
Once you find a useful report, you don't want to lose track of it. CQ Researcher has tools that allow you to print, save, and cite reports. These tools are located just below the main menu at the top of the page.
Using these tools can save you time and frustration. Practice using one or more of these tools now:
This concludes the Using CQ Researcher tutorial. Now that you've finished:
Let us know what you think about the tutorial by clicking on the feedback link.
Please proceed to the next page to start the quiz.
CQ Researcher Quiz
CQ Researcher is considered a scholarly source.
CQ Researcher will be the LEAST useful for which of the following topics?
CQ Researcher articles are generally written by:
Please enter your name and email address to retrieve a copy of your completed quiz.
You can enter multiple email addresses separated by commas. If you are doing this for a class, you may need to enter your instructor's email address also.
What did you think of this tutorial?